Blacks and Jews have been involved in a re-evaluation of their current and historical relationship. Events of the past several years have raised both tensions and the level of rhetoric coming from all sides. The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews is a historical accounting of the part of the relationship that has been ignored by both Blacks and Jews. Most people are not even aware of the extensive record of encounters between the two groups prior to the 20th century. The Honorable Louis Farrakhan referred to this well-documented history in 1984 and was immediately labeled an “anti-Semite.” Merely questioning the belief that Jews were co-sufferers in the Black slave experience draws angry rebukes from Jews of all stripes. The book in question presents indisputable historical data from census records, wills, Jewish historians and scholars, rabbinical sermons, port records, court records, runaway slave notices, slave sale advertisements, etc., which forces all sides to grapple with the long-held mythology that Black people always found a friend in the Jews.
Some Jews and their dutiful negros have hired the services of Dr. Harold Brackman of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in an effort to preserve the comfortable mythology which has obscured the actual historical record. But unbeknownst to them, Dr. Brackman’s 1977 unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, titled “The Ebb and Flow of Conflict,” goes far beyond The Secret Relationship in its claims of Jewish conspiracy in the Biblical origin of White supremacy. He clearly states that Jewish Talmudic scholars invented the Hamitic Myth which, through the story of Noah, everlastingly assigned to the African the role of slave and divinely cursed servant of White people. According to Dr. Tony Martin’s book, The Jewish Onslaught, the Jewish invention of the Hamitic Myth “provided the moral pretext upon which the entire trade grew and flourished.”
“There is no denying,” said Brackman of the story of Noah, “that the Babylonian Talmud was the first source to read a Negrophobic content into the episode…” Brackman pointed out further that two third century Jewish “Sages” provided homosexual embellishments for the Biblical story as well.
This “curse” was the absolute basis for the Europeans’ choice of dark-skinned Africans for chattel slavery. Many denominations of Christianity, Islam and Judaism believe it and teach it to this very moment! Southern plantation owners attacked the Abolitionists with it; its teaching was the foundation of the slaves’ permitted religion; Black inferiority is based on it; the Ku Klux Klan relies on it; even the Mormons officially taught it until 1978. When the Jews invented it and promoted it to the world they sentenced the Black Race to a holocaust the likes of which no people have ever suffered. “Hate teaching” will forever be defined by this wicked belief system brought to us in the Jewish Holy Talmud via Harold Brackman.
The critics curiously use a Harvard English teacher, Henry Louis Gates, to offer historical clarity. Gates exhibits no evidence that he even read the book in his oft-quoted NY Times opinion. His willingness to make asinine historical claims with the glaring absence of support from reputable Black or Jewish historians proves Adam Clayton Powell’s axiom: “Harvard has ruined more negroes than bad whiskey.”
The history that the old “Black-Jewish Coalition” clumsily avoids is the entire three-century history of Jewish presence in South America and the Caribbean. But other highly acclaimed Jewish scholars have not been so blind:
- Lee M. Friedman, a one-time president of the American Jewish Historical Society, wrote that in Brazil, where most of the Africans actually went, “the bulk of the slave trade was in the hands of Jewish settlers.”
- Marcus Arkin wrote that the Jews of Surinam used “many thousands” of Black slaves.
- Herbert I. Bloom wrote that “the slave trade was one of the most important Jewish activities here (in Surinam) as elsewhere in the colonies.” He even published a 1707 list of Jewish buyers by name with the number of Black humans they purchased.
- Cecil Roth, writer of 30 books and hundreds of articles on Jewish history, wrote that the slave revolts in parts of South America “were largely directed against [Jews] as being the greatest slave-holders of the region.”
- “I gather,” wrote Jewish scholar Wilfred Samuels, “that the Jews [of Barbados] made a good deal of their money by purchasing and hiring out negroes…”
- According to the Jewish historians, all Barbadian Jews owned slaves – even the rabbi had “the enjoyment of his own two negro attendants.”
- In Curaçao which was a major slave trading depot, Isaac and Susan Emmanuel report that “the shipping business was mainly a Jewish enterprise.”
- Says yet another Jewish writer of the Jews of Curaçao, “Almost every Jew bought from one to nine slaves for his personal use or for eventual resale.”
- Seymour B. Liebman in his New World Jewry, made it clear that “[t]he ships were not only owned by Jews, but were manned by Jewish crews and sailed under the command of Jewish captains.”
- Moshe Kahan stated bluntly that in 1653-1658, “Jewish-Marrano merchants were in control of the Spanish and Portuguese trade, were almost in control of the Levantine trade…were interested in the Dutch East and West Indian companies, were heavily involved in shipping; and, most important, had at their disposal large amounts of capital.”
- In Brazil, where most of our kidnapped ancestors were sent, Jewish scholar Arnold Wiznitzer is most explicit about Jewish involvement:
“Besides their important position in the sugar industry and in tax farming, they dominated the slave trade. From 1636 to 1645 a total of 23,163 Negro slaves arrived from Africa and were sold for 6,714,423 florins. The West India Company, which monopolized imports of slaves from Africa, sold slaves at public auctions against cash payment. It happened that cash was mostly in the hands of Jews. The buyers who appeared at the auctions were almost always Jews, and because of this lack of competitors they could buy slaves at low prices. On the other hand, there also was no competition in the selling of the slaves to the plantation owners and other buyers, and most of them purchased on credit payable at the next harvest in sugar. Profits up to 300 percent of the purchase value were often realized with high interest rates….If it happened that the date of such an auction fell on a Jewish holiday the auction had to be postponed. This occurred on Friday, October 21, 1644.”
Given the concise statements in the Jewish historical record, of which the “Black/Jewish Coalition” is totally ignorant, how can it be taken seriously in the present debate?
Jews and Slavery in the Old South
The Jewish critics prefer to focus on the history of slavery in America while ignoring our kidnapped African family in other parts of the Western Hemisphere. This attempt to focus the debate is designed to limit our historical inquiry and to suggest that we Blacks are to care only about our Black family within America’s political boundaries. This view also conveniently limits the consideration of evidence of direct Jewish involvement as whip-wielders in the slave trade which is so abundant in the southern part of the Western Hemisphere. By the time of the Jewish migration into what is now the United States, Jews were less involved in the direct trade but remained significant beneficiaries by their involvement in the plantation economy.
Jews in the South were of the merchant class, according to a Jewish historian, having developed “a separate and distinctive accommodation to the plantation economy.” The Southern planters depended upon these merchants to move their produce to market as well as for a source of supplies and financing. Jews had become commission merchants, brokers, auctioneers, cotton wholesalers, slave clothing dealers, and peddlers, keeping the slave economy oiled with money, markets and supplies.
It is no mystery why the Jews were absent from representation in the ranks of the Abolitionists. The American and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society in their report of 1853 expressed their frustration at the lack of Jews:
“The Jews of the United States have never taken any steps whatever with regard to the slavery question. As citizens, they deem it their policy to have every one choose which ever side he may deem best to promote his own interests and the welfare of his country. They have no organization of an ecclesiastical body to represent their general views; no General Assembly, or its equivalent. The American Jews have two newspapers, but they do not interfere in any discussion which is not material to their religion. It cannot be said that the Jews have formed any denominational opinion on the subject of American slavery….The objects of so much mean prejudice and unrighteous oppression as the Jews have been for ages, surely they, it would seem, more than any other denomination, ought to be the enemies of caste, and friends of universal freedom.”
One study by Ira Rosenwaike published by the American Jewish Historical Society has shown that 75% of the Jews of the South owned Black slaves while 36% of the White population owned slaves.
Ask the Jewish critics to name one (just one) prominent Colonial American Jew who did not own slaves. He will have the same difficulty as the Anti-Defamation League of the B’nai B’rith had in their 1976 pamphlet titled American Jews: Their Story. The ADL lists 13 pioneers of the American Jewish community – 10 of whom have been definitively linked to the slave trade. Some Jewish scholars of today, such as Jacob Rader Marcus, chart the wealth and prestige of their ancestors by the number of Black slaves they possessed. The point that the “Coalition” eludes is the utter failure of Judaism to control this oppressive impulse on the part of these Jews. As Rabbi Bertram Korn, the foremost scholar of nineteenth century Jewish history, has written:
“It would seem to be realistic to conclude that any Jew who could afford to own slaves and had need for their services would do so….Jews participated in every aspect and process of the exploitation of the defenseless blacks.”
When Rabbi David Einhorn of Civil War-era Baltimore, a true Jewish friend of Black people, stood up for the humanity of the Black Man using the holy principles of Judaism from the Torah, his words were brilliant:
“America of the future will not rest on slave chains or belittling its adopted citizens. It will also give up its disinterestedness in the fate of other peoples of the world….[T]he next battles will leave a real blood bath, but slavery will be drowned in that bath.”
Alas, his own congregation physically expelled him from his position as rabbi and ultimately from the city. They opted, as most Jews did, to accept the “Judaism” of the most prominent rabbi of the time Morris J. Raphall:
“[I]t remains a fact which cannot be gainsaid that in his own native home, and generally throughout the world, the unfortunate negro is indeed the meanest of slaves. Much had been said respecting the inferiority of his intellectual powers, and that no man of his race has ever inscribed his name on the Parthenon of human excellence, either mental or moral.”
The historical record is formidable and well-represented in The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews, Volume One. Within 334 pages there are 1,275 footnotes containing multiple references for the reader to examine. The irrefutable record of Jewish historical compliance with Black oppression is no longer a “secret.” The debate has surely changed.
The Washington Post has confirmed the accuracy of The Secret Relationship while exposing the ignorance of its media critics. University of Chicago African Studies professor and Jew Ralph A. Austen has written in Tikkun Magazine that the “substantive content…seems fairly accurate.” Furthermore he says, “The authors of The Secret Relationship underestimate the structural importance of the Jews in the early stages of the New World slave trade.” The Jewish Community, negro followers, Harold Brackman and Henry Louis Gates might do well to investigate that amazing assertion of this Jewish historian.
But what of the continuing Jewish racism that elicits no Jewish response at all. No letters warning of some ominous trend. The African United Front of Los Angeles raised many of these issues in a recent Final Call article:
- Michael Levin of City College of New York, Vincent Sarvich of the University of California at Berkeley and Richard Hernstein at Harvard are among the most prominent Jewish scientists and scholars who maintain that Black people are intellectually deficient. Hernstein’s book Bell Curve harkens back to some plantation philosophy claiming that Blacks are intellectually inferior to Whites. Other Jews, including Howard B. Abikoff of the Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Rachel Klein of the Long Island Medical Center and Columbia University, and Gail Wasserman in the Department of Child Psychiatry at Columbia, are engaged in research which has the potential to link genetics to violence in inner-city Black and Latino children. Where is the outrage, Coalition? Where are the calls for repudiation?
- Journalists like Jeff Greenfield, Norman Podhoretz, Roger Rosenblatt and other Jews have besmirched the Black image in news shows or on the printed page. Jewish producers in Hollywood like Norman Lear, Mort Lochman and Ed Weinberger continually produce degrading television sitcoms, like Sugar Hill, produced by Armyan Berstein, Tom Rosenberg and Mark Abraham. These portrayals can only be compared to Julius Streicher’s degradation of Jews in Der Stürmer in Nazi Germany.
- The San Francisco Chronicle, the San Francisco Examiner, the Los Angeles Times and numerous other newspapers have documented the fact that for decades the ADL ran a private nationwide spy network – “a systematic, long-term, professionally organized political espionage operation complete with informers, infiltrators, money laundering, code names, wiretapping and secret meetings.” Newspapers have revealed that among the 950 organizations and 10,000 individuals that the ADL prepared files on were many Black groups, including the NAACP!
There are many issues of varying degrees of significance that must also be raised to clear the air:
For thirty years Israel has maintained strong economic, military, nuclear, scientific, academic, energy, tourist, cultural, sports, transportation, agricultural and intelligence ties with South Africa — and thereby prolonged Black oppression there. Jews were the only group in this country who arrogantly threatened to protest the visit of revered African National Congress Chairman and now President Nelson Mandela to the United States in 1990. They have labeled Mandela and Bishop Desmond Tutu “anti-Semites” while the 110,000 Jewish South Africans are, in fact, the richest single community in the world.
The late Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Dayan asserted that the quality of American military forces had deteriorated because they were composed of Blacks “who have low intelligence and low education.” He urged America to ensure that “fresh blood and better brains go to their forces.” He is a hero in Israel.
Jewish talk show host Howard Stern was quoted in the November 1st issue of Time magazine as stating that, “they didn’t beat this idiot (Rodney King) enough.” In March, he played Ku Klux Klan songs on his broadcast and used the term “nigger” 55 times in 10 minutes. He offered the terms “porch monkey” and “yard ape” as labels for Blacks.
Furthermore, during the week of March 7, 1994, Jewish comedian Jackie Mason was quoted by news broadcasts as having said: “The susceptibility to violence happens to be more among Blacks than whites – a hundred times more.”
In 1991, Judge Joyce A. Karlin sentenced Korean merchant Soon Ja Du to five years of probation, 400 hours of community service and a fine of five hundred dollars for killing Black teenager Latasha Harlins. Judge Stanley M. Weisberg transferred the Rodney King case to Simi Valley and thereby virtually assured an unfair trial for the Black victim. Superior Court Judge Roosevelt I. Dorn, a Black jurist who had been hand-picked to hear the case of three men charged with beating Reginald Denny during the early hours of the L.A. civil unrest, was removed from the case by District Attorney Ira Reiner. Karlin, Weisberg and Reiner are all Jews. Jewish leaders did not repudiate them for their “racism” or “unfairness”; there were no newspaper advertisements taken out to condemn them; nor were their names dragged before Congress to be censured.
If the Jewish Community has a longstanding interest in providing accurate information about history, culture and traditions of the Jewish community, as some have claimed, maybe they should commence with one or more of the above.
Black educators need not fear cheap smear campaigns by long-time racists. Our history is our responsibility, and we have no right to compromise with truth or the instruction of our children. What they teach Jewish children is their business.